Conceived by Idris Elba and Gary Reich, “Turn Up Charlie” is a British comedy streaming tv series directed by Tristam Shapeero and Matt Lipsey. The comedy series features Elba as a disc jockey named Charlie who unwillingly becomes the babysitter for his well-known friend’s daughter.
The series made its debut on March 15, 2019, on Netflix and till now there’s only been just one season. So if you’re here to find out more about the second season of Turn Up Charlie, stay with us till the end.
Will There Be a Season 2 of Turn Up Charlie?: Renewed or Canceled?
Sadly, there won’t be a season two of Turn Up Charlie. The series was officially axed in April 2020 after one season.
In an official statement, the giant streamer confirmed the news stating, “Turn Up Charlie will not return for a second season,”
The statement continued: “We’re especially grateful to star and executive producer Idris Elba, who turned his passion for DJing into a witty, heartwarming comedy series. We’re also thankful to executive producers Gary Reich and Tristram Shapeero and co-executive producers Martin Joyce and Ana Garanito, along with the dedicated cast and crew, for bringing this story to life on Netflix. We look forward to continuing our relationship with Idris on future projects.”
Turn Up Charlie Season 2 Release Date: When is it?
As mentioned earlier, the comedy series was canceled after a single season back in April 2020 and as it stands right now, a 2nd season of Turn Up Charlie will not happen. Hence, a release date for season 2 of the comedy series seems far from impossible. The debut season was released on March 15, 2019, and consisted of a total of eight episodes and had a runtime of 24 to 28 minutes per episode.
If Turn Up Charlie happens, it may expand on these plot themes:
If Turn Up Charlie had been renewed for a second season, the plot may have taken many turns. Here are some ideas:
- Charlie could have continued DJing and nannying.
- He could have bonded with Gabby, his daughter.
- He could have dated his friend Sara.
- He may have resumed DJing.
- He could have handled fame and money.
The show may have expanded on these themes:
- The value of family and friends.
- The difficulties of solitary parenting.
- The music industry.
- Fame and fortune pressure.
- Following your dreams is crucial.
Why Was The Series Canceled?
The exact reason is unclear since the showrunners have not said anything concerning the reason behind the series’ cancellation but it is likely because of poor ratings.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the series has an approval rating of 52 percent with an average score of 5.26 out of 10, based on 37 users.
Who Are The Cast of Turn Up Charlie?
Listed below are the whole cast & characters of Turn Up Charlie.
- Idris Elba portrayed the role of Charlie
- Piper Perabo in the character of Sara
- JJ Feild played the character of David
- Frankie Hervey in the role of Gabrielle
- Angela Griffin played Astrid
- Guz Khan portrayed the character Dell
- Jocelyn Jee Esien played the role of Auntie Lydia
- Jade Anouka portrayed the role of Tommi
- Rina Sawayama in the character of Layla Valentine
- Cameron King in the role of Hunter
- Emily Carey in the character of Bea
- Dustin Demri-Burns played the role of Daniel Smith
The eight-episode series was launched on Netflix in its entirety in March 2019. It was executive produced by Idris Elba, Gary Reich, and Tristram Shapeero, and Gills Isles served as the producer. The cinematographer of the series is Rob Kitzmann. The production companies are Brown Eyed Boy Productions and Green Door Pictures.
Turn Up Charlie Season 2 is Not Happening
As mentioned above, Turn Up Charlie was axed after just airing for a single season. According to a source, who revealed to The Mirror said: “Netflix and Idris just didn’t see eye to eye on it.” Further explaining, “Idris had hoped to get a second season rolling and was even working on new ideas but he couldn’t get it to work.”
The first season ended on a cliffhanger and unfortunately, fans would never get to see the proper ending of the series.