Developed by Noah Pink (seasons 1–2), Ken Biller (seasons 1–2), and Suzan-Lori Parks (season 3), ‘Genius’ is a docudrama anthology series that was launched on the National Geographic Channel in April 2017. Each season follows prominent historical figures based on their early and later years.
The series has so far produced a total of three seasons. The fourth season is expected to air sometime in 2023 while many are curious whether the docudrama will return with a fifth run although it seems to be quite far away to be expecting an update regarding season 5 anytime soon. If you’re here to know more about the upcoming season, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s delve into detail.
Will there be a Season 5 of Genius?
As of now, we’re clueless whether or not the series will return with the fifth season but looking back at the previous seasons which covered different historical figures each season, it is most likely that the series will continue for more seasons. However, fans of this show need to exercise patience as it is still a long way away. In the meantime, you can look forward to the fourth season.
Genius Season 5 Release Date: When is it?
Because the fourth season still hasn’t been released, there are no updates concerning the fifth season. But we do know that season 4 is scheduled to arrive sometime in 2023 and on the off chance if the series is renewed for a fifth installment, it is expected that it will arrive somewhere in 2024.
The Cast & Characters of Genius Season 5
Each season is played by different actors and it’s not known who will be cast in the fifth season. Here is the list of the main characters for each season except for seasons 4 and 5 as the showrunner hasn’t revealed the names of the actors yet.
Season 1: Main Characters
- Geoffrey Rush played the role of Albert Einstein
- Johnny Flynn played the character of a younger version of Albert Einstein
- Samantha Colley played Mileva Marić
- Nikki Hahn played the younger version of Mileva Marić
- Richard Topol portrayed Fritz Haber
- Michael McElhatton played Philipp Lenard
- Emily Watson played Elsa Einstein
- Gwendolyn Ellis played the younger version of Elsa Einstein
- Ralph Brown portrayed Max Planck
Season 2: Main Characters
- Antonio Banderas played the titular role in Pablo Picasso
- Alex Rich played the younger version of Pablo Picasso
- Alessio Scalzotto portrayed as 14-year-old
- Pablo Picasso
- Timothy Lyons played as 9-year-old
- Pablo Picasso
- Clémence Poésy in the role of Françoise Gilot
- Samantha Colley in the character of Dora Maar
Season 3: Main Characters
- Cynthia Erivo in the role of Aretha Franklin
- Shaian Jordan played the younger version of Aretha Franklin
- Courtney B. Vance portrayed the role of C. L. Franklin
- David Cross played Jerry Wexler
- Malcolm Barrett played Ted White
- Patrice Covington played Erma Franklin
- Kimberly Hébert Gregory in the character of Ruth Bowen
- Rebecca Naomi Jones portrayed the role of Carolyn Franklin
As for seasons 4 and 5, we can expect a new batch of the cast just like the previous seasons that introduced us to new characters.
Genius Season 5 Plot: What to expect?
The first season revolves around Albert Einstein in his early years as a civil servant striving to secure a teaching role and how he achieved great things in his later years. Season 1 consisted of 10 episodes. It was released from April 17 to June 20, 2017.
The second season also consisted of 10 episodes which were released on April 24, 2018, and ended on June 19, 2018, centered on the life of Pablo Picasso. Like the first season, the season also portrays two periods.
The third season consisting of eight episodes was launched from March 21 to March 24, 2021. It centered on Aretha Franklin in her early years to later years.
For the fourth season, the official synopsis reads: “While King advanced racial equality through nonviolent protest, Malcolm X argued forcefully for Black empowerment, identity, and self-determination. With their formidable wives, Coretta Scott King and Betty Shabazz, by their sides, King and Malcolm X became synonymous with the civil rights era and the fight for racial and economic justice. While they met only once and often challenged each other’s views, neither would have been as successful without the other.”
As for season 5, it is expected to center on Martin Luther King.
In a recent interview, series executive producers the Bythewoods revealed, “Malcolm and Martin are staggering icons, and we have been eager to explore the genius of these two very real men in a way that has not yet been seen. We are excited to team up with Imagine Entertainment and 20th Television to reflect on their amazing lives and contributions to civil rights and the urgency of today.”
Where to watch Genius?
All three seasons of Genius are available to watch on National Geographic Channel.
Stay tuned for all the latest updates on Season 5 of Genius.