Canadian bettors looking to make the most of this year’s Superbowl odds will be mixed. Some will look to bet on the favorites with short odds, while others will bet on the underdog with longer odds for the biggest returns.
Superbowl Fast Approaching
Things are hotting up on sports books across Canada as this year’s NFL Superbowl final is quickly approaching, with the official date set for Sunday, February 11, 2024.
Many US Sports Bettors are Looking for Upsets with Higher Odds
The longest odds pay the most, and to get long odds, you have to go against the data, and the data will always pick a favorite. The idea is for an upset, so bettors will pick the team that is the second favorite looking for an upset, which equates to a larger payout.
Currently, the most popular bets for the Superbowl this February are:
- San Francisco 49ers – odds hovering around 9:5
- Baltimore Ravens – odds hovering around 9:4
According to the bookie’s odds, the 5 teams likely to cause the biggest upset this February and win the Superbowl are:
- Buffalo Bills – odds hovering around 6:1
- Kansas City Chiefs – odds hovering around 8:1
- Detroit Lions – odds hovering around 9:1
- Green Bay Packers – odds hovering around 20:1
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – odds hovering around 30:1
For those looking for stake, the biggest upset of them all has to be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers going all the way to the Superbowl final and winning.
Which Games Are Remaining Leading Up to February?
After the Baltimore Ravens pulled through as favourites and beat the Houston Texans there are now just three Division Playoff games remaining.
- Green Bay Packers Vs. San Francisco 49rs
- Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Buffalo Bills
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Vs. Detroit Lions
The biggest upsets for sports betting enthusiasts:
- Green Packers ‘Win Vs.’ San Franciso 49rs
- Kansas City ‘Win Vs.’ the Buffalo Bills
- Tampa Bay ‘Win Vs.’ Detroit Lions
AFC and NFC Championships
- Baltimore Ravens Vs. Buffalo Bills or Kansas City Chiefs
- Green Bay Packers ‘OR’ San Francisco 49rs Vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers ‘OR’ Detroit Lions
The Biggest AFC Championship Upsets:
- Green Packers win again: If the Green Packers cause an upset with the San Francisco 49ers, the Packers will still be the team to back for those looking for another upset. The Packers will play either Tampa Bay Buccaneers Vs—Detroit Lions, which both the bookies chose to above Packers according to the odds.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Buccaneers are at the bottom of the pile. If anyone is looking for an underdog, then this is it.
The NFL spreads back up the 5 biggest upsets mentioned with 3 teams playing in the Divisional Playoffs. However, this could change depending on performances as the divisional playoffs conclude and we head into the AFC and NFC Championship playoffs.
- Green Bay Packers (Spread +7.5) Vs. San Francisco 49rs (Spread -7.5)
- Kansas City Chiefs (Spread +2.5) Vs. Buffalo Bills (Spread -2.5)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Spread +6) Vs. Detroit Lions (Spread -76)
According to the average NFL spreads in the above 3 games, Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the teams Canadian bettors should be eyeing as the most likely to cause the biggest upsets.
Superbowl’s Popularity in Ontario, Canada
In Ontario, Canada, there are now. over 30 sportsbooks operate under the new Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) online betting framework. According to the province’s Responsible Gambling Council (RGC), 49% plan to place a bet on the event. Of that 49%, 54% will wager on single-bet markets, while 24% will diversify their bets across various betting options. Meanwhile, 36% will go for lottery-style bets.
Most Canadian Sports Betting Enthusiasts Will Use Legal Sports Bets Websites
41% of the 49% planning on betting on the Superbowl said they would use a legal sportsbook to place bets. In Canada’s Ontarian market, that would be sportsbooks operating under the AGCO.
As for other provinces and territories, sports books operating under the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner (GGC) and/or the Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) offer Canadian player protection, as both licensing authorities are considered among the most trustworthy in the world.
Looking for the Biggest Upset or a Sure Win?
If you are looking for a safe bet, the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Ravens are the best bets out there. They are most likely to meet in the final as the 49ers, if they win, will play in the NFC Championship playoff, while the Ravens are already in the AFC Championship playoff final. However, if you are looking for the biggest upset, choose the teams with the odds of winning the Superbowl. As for single-match betting, Canadian bettors looking to stake the underdog likely to cause the biggest upset, then look for the team with ‘+’ on the spread and place your bet!