Hate to break this to you but 13 Reasons Why won’t return for a fifth season as the fourth season was the final season. The exact reason is not known but we assume it has to do with declining ratings.
When the first season came out in 2017, it received generally favorable responses for its fantastic depiction of youngsters and the issues they face in today’s modern world. With the release of the second season, viewers were disappointed that the season didn’t do well as compared to the first season. Later, the series launched seasons 3 & 4 which performed poorly, and on top of that, some scenes were quite controversial for showcasing sensitive issues like rape and suicide.
Overall, the series’s constant decline in ratings may have pushed the showrunners to end it with the fourth season although Brain Yorkey had initially intended to end it with the fourth season in the first place itself.
Will Season 5 of 13 Reasons Ever Happen?
Unfortunately, no. As previously stated there won’t be a fifth season of 13 Reasons Why. Here’s what the showrunner Brian Yorkey had to explain regarding the series ending with the fourth season.
‘‘Somewhere in the midst of making season two, when it became clear that we might have the chance to make more seasons of this, I pretty quickly got to a place where it felt like a four-season story,’ Yorkey explained.
‘I’m always a little bit suspicious of high school shows that go beyond four seasons because high school is four years long.’’
He told EW that it looked more fitting to finish the series with their graduation.
‘‘And it felt like bringing these characters to their graduation and to scattering to their next things felt like the logical ending point,’’ he proceeded.
‘’So for a long time, the idea has been, should we be so lucky to have the opportunity, we would do four seasons of this. So certainly going into breaking story for season four, we knew it was the end.’’
The Cast List of 13 Reasons Why
- Clay Jensen enacted by Dylan Minnette.
- Tony Padilla enacted by Christian Navarro.
- Jessica Davis as Alisha Boe
- Brandon Flynn as Justin Foley
- Bryce Walker enacted by Justin Prentice
- Miles Heizer plays Alex Standall
- Ross Butler portrays Zach Dempsey
- Devin Druid plays Tyler Down
- Amy Hargreaves plays Lainie Jensen
- Derek Luke plays Kevin Porter
- Kate Walsh portrays Olivia Baker
- Brian d’Arcy James plays Andy Baker
- Grace Saif plays Ani Achola
- Brenda Strong plays Nora Walker
- Timothy Granaderos portrays Monty De La Cruz
- Mark Pellegrino plays Bill Standall
- Tyler Barnhardt portrays Charlie St. George
- Deaken Bluman in the role of Winston Williams
- Jan Luis Castellanos plays Diego Torres
- Gary Sinise plays Dr. Robert Ellman
What to Expect From The Storyline of Season 5 of 13 Reasons Why?
In season 4, so many things happened. All the loose strings were attached perfectly and the suspense was all cleared. We found out the reason behind Justin’s incurable disease was due to constant doping and prostitution and as a result, he didn’t survive. On the other hand, Clay had a major anxiety attack and attempted to take his own life. Alex’s huge revelation about Bryce’s death to Winston.
In the finale, all of them moved on with their lives after their graduation. In the meantime, Clay agrees to proceed with his counseling and goes on a road trip with his pal Tony. It was a peaceful and satisfying end although it can divert to a different story if the showrunner were to bring back the series for another season.
Watch 13 Reasons Why available for streaming on Netflix.