Developed by Hossein Amini and James Watkins, and helmed by Watkins, McMafia is a British crime drama TV series based on a book called “McMafia: A Journey Through the Global Criminal Underworld” written by Journalist Misha Glenny published in 2008. It features James Norton, David Strathairn, Juliet Rylance, Merab Ninidze, Aleksey Serebryakov, Maria Shukshina, Faye Marsay, David Dencik, Oshri Cohen, Sofia Lebedeva, Caio Blat, Kirill Pirogov, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, and Karel Roden.
The series revolves around Alex Godman (James Norton), a son of a Russian mafia leader living in London whose dad is attempting to flee from the world of systematic crime and violation. The series is co-produced by AMC, BBC Networks, and Cuba Pictures. It was launched in the UK on January 1, 2018, on BBC one, and in the US on February 26, 2018, on AMC.
The series has so far launched its first season with a total of eight episodes which ran from January 1 to February 11, 2018. In other words, it’s been three years since the last episode aired and fans can not help but wonder if the series would make a comeback with a new season. Let’s find out in detail below.
Has Season 2 of McMafia been renewed or canceled?
The good news is, McMafia season 2 is happening. The series has been commissioned again by BBC for eight more episodes.
Release date of McMafia Season 2: When is it?
As of now, the official release date for the second season of McMafia is not determined yet. But we’re hopeful that the new episodes would arrive sometime this year or may probably premiere in early 2023. The new season will consist of eight episodes just like the previous season.
The cast of McMafia Season 2: Who’s in it?
We expect all the central characters that appeared in the first season to return in the upcoming second season as well which includes–
- James Norton will play Alex Godman
- David Strathairn will reprise his role as Semiyon Kleiman
- Juliet Rylance will portray Rebecca Harper
- Merab Ninidze will play Vadim Kalyagin
- Aleksey Serebryakov will play his role as Dimitri Godman
- Maria Shukshina will be reprising his role as Oksana Godman
- Faye Marsay will play Katya Godman
- David Dencik will play the character of Boris Godman
- Oshri Cohen will play Joseph
- Sofia Lebedeva will portray Lyudmilla Nikolayeva
- Caio Blat will portray Antonio Mendez
- Kirill Pirogov will play Ilya Fedorov
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui will play Dilly Mahmood
- Karel Roden will play Karel Benes
- Yuval Scharf will portray Tanya
- Anna Levanova will play Natasha
- Clifford Samuel will portray Femi
- Maria Mashkova may reprise her role as Masha
- Kemi – Bo Jacobs will play Karin
- Atul Kale will play Benny Chopra
It’s not confirmed but viewers can also expect to see new characters in the next season of McMafia.
What to expect from the plot of McMafia Season 2?
As for the plot, there are no concrete details and it’s probably going to take a while before we get any kind of information from the show makers.
The series creators Amini and Watkins recently revealed: “We are so excited about how McMafia has resonated with people all over the world and we are happy to have another opportunity to tell more stories.”
Needless to say, the story would likely be picked up from where the first season left off. Some viewers thought that the first season was too slow-paced. Star James Norton disclosed that they have a lot of time and room for the next season that it might get even slower. He also revealed to Graham Norton that: “Life isn’t about heroes and villains, it’s about the messy grey in between and that’s what makes great drama.”
The next season will probably have plenty of twists in it and it’s going to get really dramatic. “The anti-hero/hero characters that you thought were perhaps whiter than white don’t necessarily turn out that way. And the villains vice versa – they turn out to be more and more human,” James Norton added.