The Originals is an American supernatural fantasy vampire drama TV series that started airing on The CW network on October 3, 2013. This series is a spin-off to “The Vampire Diaries” created by Julie Plec. The story follows half vampire-half werewolf Kalus Mikaelson as he and his kin get entangled in the supernatural politics known as the French Quarter of New Orleans. It features Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Claire Holt, Phoebe Tonkin, Charles Michael Davis, Daniella Pineda, Leah Pipes, Danielle Campbell, Yusuf Gatewood, Riley Voelkel, Danielle Rose Russell, and Steven Krueger.
The series has a total of five seasons with an overall episode of 92. Let’s find out below whether or not The Originals will return with the sixth installment.
The Originals Season 6 Release Date: Is It Renewed or Cancelled?
Unfortunately, the series sixth season has been officially canceled by The CW. The fifth season which ran from April 18, 2018, to August 1, 2018, was the final outing of the series. Nonetheless, it appears that The CW doesn’t have any plans for another season in the future. If there are any new announcements regarding season 6 of The Originals, we’ll be sure to update this post.
Why Was Season 6 Of The Originals Canceled?
The exact reason is not known nor did the showrunners have revealed anything behind its cancellation. However, we think that the ratings might have something to do with The CW cancelling the series.
The ratings started declining when it reached its fourth season and many felt that from the third season onwards, the storyline became too mainstream and pretty much predictable to the audience and received criticisms from them. Each season of the story was easily predicted by the viewers about what will happen in the next chapter and what they should expect to see in the upcoming seasons.
As a result, the showrunners confirmed that the fifth season will be the final installment of The Originals series. It was declared on July 20, 2017, by the creators that there won’t be any more new seasons returning in the future on Netflix or The CW.
Series creator Julie Plec also made a statement on Twitter regarding the series coming to an end that said: “In a show about an immortal family who believes in ‘Always and Forever,’ it’s never really the end of the story…”
Who Are The Cast Of The Originals?
- Joseph Morgan played the role of Niklaus “Klaus” Mikaelson
- Daniel Gillies played the character of Elijah Mikaelson
- Claire Holt in the role of Rebekah Mikaelson
- Phoebe Tonkin played the role of Hayley Marshall
- Charles Michael Davis played the character of Marcellus “Marcel” Gerard
- Daniella Pineda portrayed the role of Sophie Deveraux
- Leah Pipes portrayed the role of Camille “Cami” O’Connell
- Danielle Campbell played the role of Davina Claire
- Yusuf Gatewood depicted the role of Vincent Griffith
- Riley Voelkel played the role of Freya Mikaelson
- Danielle Rose Russell played the role of Hope Mikaelson
- Steven Krueger played the role of Joshua “Josh” Rosza
“Miss playing Klaus,” Joseph Morgan said after The Originals season 6 was canceled!
The sixth season of The Originals is canceled. After five seasons, the show ended in 2017. Julie Plec, the show’s creator, tweeted that making the cancellation was a “difficult decision” but that she was “grateful for the opportunity to have told the story of the Mikaelson family.”
Many of the show’s cast expressed their gratitude to fans for their support after the cancellation. Joseph Morgan, who played Klaus Mikaelson, stated he was “proud” of the program and would “miss playing Klaus.”
Fans were disappointed when The Originals was canceled, but Plec said she will return to The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. She indicated in a 2022 interview that she has “some ideas” for a spin-off series but was “not ready to talk about them yet.”
While Season 6 of The Originals is not planned, the Mikaelson family may return for a spin-off. We shall keep this space updated as and when we find any information; please stay connected with us until then!
The Originals season 6 storyline
After four seasons, the Mikaelson family is split and facing new threats in the fifth and final season of The Originals. Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) are fleeing with their daughter Hope (Danielle Rose Russell) to protect her from the Hollow, a powerful ancestral witch. Freya (Riley Voelkel) is trying to wake Elijah (Daniel Gillies) from the Hollow’s dream state. Rebekah (Claire Holt) is healing from last season’s injuries, and Marcel (Charles Michael Davis) keeps New Orleans in order.
The Mikaelsons also face the Nightwalkers, purist vampires aiming to murder Hope. Greta Sienna (Sonja Sohn), a powerful vampire, leads the Nightwalkers to destroy the Mikaelsons. They must work together to defend their family and city from the Hollow, Nightwalkers, and other perils throughout the season. Klaus’s remorse over his mother’s death, Hayley’s attempts to raise Hope, and Elijah’s inner darkness are also their own problems.
The Mikaelsons overcome the Hollow and Nightwalkers. Victory is costly. Klaus dies to save Hope, and Elijah follows him. The Originals’ fifth season was well-received and profitable. It was lauded for its emotional stakes, character development, and satisfying ending. The season also spurred discussions about family, love, and sacrifice.
The Originals Season 5 plot highlights: Brief Recap!
The Originals season 5 was filled with action, emotion, and sacrifice. This season bid goodbye to some of TV’s most adored characters. Family and affection were also highlighted during the season. Catch up on the major plot highlights of The Originals season five below:
- Klaus, Hayley, and Hope flee the Hollow.
- The Hollow keeps Elijah dreaming.
- Freya is trying to wake Elijah.
- Rebekah is healing from last season’s injuries.
- Marcel is promoting order in New Orleans.
- The Mikaelsons also face the Nightwalkers, purist vampires aiming to murder Hope.
- Greta Sienna, a powerful vampire, leads the Nightwalkers to destroy the Mikaelsons.
- The Mikaelsons must work together to defend their family and city from the Hollow, Nightwalkers, and other perils throughout season.
- Klaus’s remorse over his mother’s death, Hayley’s attempts to raise Hope, and Elijah’s inner darkness are also their own problems.
- The Mikaelsons overcome the Hollow and Nightwalkers. Victory is costly. Klaus dies to save Hope, and Elijah follows him.
Where Can I Watch The Originals Series?
All episodes of the five seasons of The Originals series are now available for streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.