Sadly, there won’t be a sixth season of Insecure. Series creator Issa Rae broke the sad news back in January 2021 on her official Twitter account that read: “Very excited to film our fifth and final season! We couldn’t have told a complete story without the tremendous support of our audience and the faith of @HBO. See y’all soon!”
Very excited to film our fifth and final season! We couldn’t have told a complete story without the tremendous support of our audience and the faith of @HBO. See y'all soon! #InsecureHBO https://t.co/3gsoDwSGDR
— Issa Rae (@IssaRae) January 13, 2021
The announcement stunned many fans, creator Issue Rae also revealed to Deadline that she and series executive producer Prentice Penny originally planned to finish the show after running for five seasons.
“I feel blessed beyond measure to bring our characters’ stories to an end, on-screen at least,” she stated.
Insecure season 6 Release date update?
Rae also gives a thought on the show’s last season and how the series coming to an end will make her move forward in her life and career in a conversation with Bazaar.com, disclosing that she’s “definitely been ready to say goodbye.”
She continued, “I’ve given so much of myself, and I know that I don’t want to be in another television show that I’ve created, just because it’s so daunting, and it takes so much of your time. I am just kind of trying to figure out balancing the business side and being behind the scenes with how much I actually want to be in front of the camera. I’m figuring that out, and I feel like I’m at another terrifying crossroads of what’s next.”
She also explains that she’s prepared to proceed to her new endeavors after working on something that comes from “a specific story and a specific time in my life.”
Rae added, “Obviously, the show could grow and the characters can get older, but it just feels like a specific part of my life that I feel like is done. The entire reasoning behind Insecure is to show that the journey of these characters becoming secure in themselves and becoming comfortable being uncomfortable. So, in that way, I’m ready to move on to the next story, but I don’t know what part of myself I’m giving for the next project. Maybe that’ll come years from now. Who knows, but I definitely don’t have it now.”
Why Season 6 of Insecure won’t happen?
Speaking to The Breakfast Club, creator Issa Rae revealed that the show was meant to end in season 5 and never planned to have more than that.
“I talked to [showrunner Prentice Penny] about it and he was like, ‘How long do you want to go?’ I was like, ‘Five,’ and he said, ‘OK, that’s about right.’ It felt that it was the right amount of time to tell a concise story. I like shows that I can watch with endings. I like to leave when I feel at my high. Don’t overstay your welcome is a big motto,” she stated. This clearly explains why a sixth season won’t be happening.
The Cast of Insecure
- Issa Rae played Issa Dee
- Yvonne Orji in the role of Molly Carter
- Jay Ellis played the character of Martin Lawrence Walker
- Courtney Taylor acted as Sequoia – Quoia
- Leonard Robinson played the role of Taurean Jackson
- Kendrick Sampson depicted the role of Nathan Campbell
- Alexander Hodge acted as Andrew
- Y’lan Noel in the role of Daniel King
- Amanda Seales played the role of Tiffany DuBois
- Natasha Rothwell portrayed the character Kelli Prenny
- Lisa Joyce played Frieda
- Neil Brown Jr. in the character of Chad Kerr
- Mason McCulley played Ken
- Sujata Day depicted Sarah
- Langston Kerman illustrated Jared
- Kathreen Khavari in the character of Patricia
- Maya Erskine played the character of Diane Nakamura
- Tiana Le acted as Dayniece
- Sarunas J. Jackson played the role of Alejandro – Dro – Pena
- Jean Elie played Ahmal Dee
- Jasmine Kaur depicted Aparna
- Samantha Cope portrayed Brooke
- Christina Elmore portrayed the role of Condola Hayes
- Norman Towns in the role of Bennett
- Don Franklin acted as Malcolm
- Leon Thomas played the character of Eddie
- Lil Rel Howery portrayed Quentin
- Spencer Garrett depicted John Merrill
Where to watch Insecure?
All five seasons of Insecure are available to watch on Hulu and Disney+.