The Underground Railroad is an American historical drama miniseries conceived and directed by Barry Jenkins heavily inspired by the novel published in 2016 of the exact name written by Colson Whitehead. The series debuted on May 14. 2021 on Amazon Prime Video. It received Golden Globe Awards for Best Miniseries or Television Film with other nominations for Primetime Emmy Awards such as Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series and Outstanding Directing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Film. The series stars Thuso Mbedu, Chase W. Dillon, Joel Edgerton, Fred Hechinger, Peter Mullan, Mychal-Bella Bowman, and Sheila Atim.
Set in the 1800s on a fictional tale of people trying to flee from slavery in the southern part of the US. The series utilises a critical plot element that compels the literary art of pure realism. The Underground Railroad series in reality was a hierarchy of anti-slavery, secret paths, and safe homes that aided enslaved people of African-American descent to liberation in the 1800s. In the book and the series, the real railroad finishes with engineers, supervisors, routes, and tunnels. An enslaved female named Cora from Georgia, joins Caesar to run the train to independence.
The series first season premiered with a total of 10 episodes namely–
- Chapter 1: Georgia
- Chapter 2: South Carolina
- Chapter 3: North Carolina
- Chapter 4: The Great Spirit
- Chapter 5: Tennessee – Exodus
- Chapter 6: Tennessee – Proverbs
- Chapter 7: Fanny Briggs
- Chapter 8: Indiana Autumn
- Chapter 9: Indiana Winter
- Chapter 10: Mabel
Let’s find out whether or not the series will return with a second instalment considering that this is a limited series.
The Underground Railroad Season 2 Release Date: When will it premiere?
When it comes to the second season, there has been no word on it yet from the show makers neither has the show been renewed or cancelled. At the same time, the prospect of the series remains uncertain for now. To put it, since this series is considered a limited series fans might not get to see another season of it. However, we can’t be too sure unless we hear an official word.
On the off chance that a second season of The Underground Railroad happens, the new episodes are likely to arrive in the summer of 2022.
The Underground Railroad Season 2 Cast: Who will return?
The cast members who appeared in the first season are likely to return if a second season is greenlit. The following names are–
- Thuso Mbedu (as Cora Randall)
- Chase W. Dillon (as Homer)
- Joel Edgerton (as Arnold Ridgeway)
- Fred Hechinger (as Younger version of Arnold Ridgeway)
- Peter Mullan (as Ridgeway Senior)
- Mychal-Bella Bowman (as Fanny Briggs/Grace)
- Sheila Atim (as Mabel)
- Aaron Pierre (as Caesar Garner)
- William Jackson Harper (as Royal)
- Lily Rabe (as Ethel Wells)
- Chukwudi Iwuji (as Mingo)
- Calvin Leon Smith (as Jasper)
- Damon Herriman (as Martin Wells)
- Amber Gray (as Gloria Valentine)
- Benjamin Walker (as Terrance Randall)
- Justice Leak (as James Randall)
- Lucius Baston (as Prideful)
- Owen Harn (as Chandler)
- Bri Collins (as Olivia)
- Ryan James (as Red)
- Will Poulter (as Sam)
- Peter de Jersey (as John Valentine)
- IronE Singleton (as Mack)
- Marcus “MJ” Gladney Jr. (as Ellis)
- Cullen Moss (as Judge Smith)
- Jim Klock (as Tom Hardman)
The Plot of The Underground Railroad Season 2: What to expect?
Plot details are not revealed nor has there been any update about a possible third season. In the previous season’s finale, Cora finally got the freedom she deserved. Likewise, it ended on a very satisfying note thus we’re not exactly sure what the story would be if there’s a new season. Let’s be patient and wait for Amazon Prime to provide official updates.