The University of Helsinki awarded Greta Thunberg an honorary doctorate in March 2023, along with 28 other figures. The faculty of theology noticed Thunberg’s outstanding knowledge in the field of climate change
The decision to award Thunberg an honorary doctorate has been met with mixed reactions. Some people believe that Thunberg is a deserving candidate for the award, given her work in raising awareness about climate change and her efforts to promote environmental sustainability. Others, however, have criticized the decision, arguing that Thunberg is too young and inexperienced to receive such an honor
Here are some of the reactions
WTF: University of Helsinki (@helsinkiuni) is giving a prestigious honorary doctorate to climate extremist Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg)
For what & from which department?
– THEOLOGY –
The school of God is openly honoring the new humanist priestess. The religion is official pic.twitter.com/ld4b25XTtk
— E (@ElijahSchaffer) March 21, 2023
Is this a joke? pic.twitter.com/ur5A1apCZZ
— Yaffa Hajos (@HajosYaffa) March 21, 2023
Knowing she is a marketing construct makes this award even more absurd. https://t.co/dQ4qcCyWgu
— Dr. Simon Goddek (@goddeketal) March 20, 2023
It’s absolutely obnoxious that you’d give an honorary theology degree to someone that has never went to school and is nothing more than a paid propagandist
— Ccplockedotheroneagain (@Ccplockedother2) March 20, 2023
What is an honorary doctorate?
Some facts about Greta Thunberg
- Greta Thunberg is a Swedish environmental activist who works to address the problem of climate change.
- She is the founder of a movement known as Fridays for Future, also known as School Strike for Climate.
- She was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, which is now considered an autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
- She staged the first climate school strike in August 2018.
- She was inspired by a school strike in Florida in protest of gun laws in the United States, and her actions since have gained global attention.
- She has been named one of the most influential people in the world by Time magazine.
Leave a Reply